This year, I had the pleasure of attending the New York City PERKSCon event last week. PERKSCon is the world’s largest employee experience expo and provides great insights into the future of benefits and how employers can remodel their benefits strategies to better position themselves in the war for talent. Attendees included senior-level staff, HR managers, consultants and brokers from organizations ranging from under 200 employees to 5,000+. During the expo we saw some innovations in benefits we would have never believed if we hadn’t attended, including jukeboxes in the workplace, telehealth for pets and Lego gift packages for remote team building.
Although vendors at PERKSCon represented a vast range of services, some of the most prevalent “perks” surrounded family support, mental health, and financial wellness.
1. Family Support
This year there was a great focus on family related benefits, with children and new parents at the helm. Employers are transitioning towards different parental support benefits than we’ve seen in the past, especially with many employees working remote or hybrid. Some of the most interesting family related benefits included:
- Pump Spotting: They support all things breast feeding including an app, networks, and lactation support.
- Outschool: Provides classes for children 2nd grade to middle school, support for working parents and tutoring & test prep for all ages (including SAT).
- Medela: They help foster a healthy return to work for new parents as well as provide pumps, ship breast milk, and identify lactation suites.
2. Mental Health
Mental health awareness and solutions have been on the rise, even more so since the onset of the pandemic, and employees expect mental health resources from their employers. As we’ve largely moved away from the office and into our home offices, there has been a push to provide mental health support virtually. A couple interesting and innovative mental health related perks included:
- Impact Suite: Provides a mental health app, which offers unlimited teletherapy, lifestyle coaching, digital wellness materials and 24/7 support.
- Breathing.ai: A digital health solution that reduces stress through guided meditation and breathing exercises, all while tracking your time away from screen, heart rate and other wellness categories.
3. Financial Wellness
When it comes to PERKSCon, financial wellness is always a hot button topic. Employers are looking at how they can best support their staff, and in this economy, money speaks louder than words. As such, helping employees with financial wellbeing has become a more common practice and we have seen a range of solutions gain traction over the past few years. Specific to PERKSCon, some financial benefits tools we found interesting include:
- Learning Lux: They help employees set financial plans by setting up 1 on 1 coaching and providing tracking and utilization reporting.
- Vault: They enable employers to offer loan benefit options, tuition reimbursement programs, 401(k) matches based on student loan payments and more, including individual counseling.
- Addition Wealth: A digital platform that helps employees make strong financial decisions (including stocks and investments, 401(k), taxes, etc.) and connect with financial professionals.
I was thrilled to attend PERKSCon in person in NYC this year. The event never fails to provide great networking opportunities and showcase some of the most unique and premier benefits in the industry, something that our clients are continuously seeking. We look forward to seeing many of you again at a future PERKSCon event; it will be just one “perk” of many!
Latest posts by Teri Weber (see all)
- A Blueprint of Health & Welfare Benefits: A Recap of NEEBC’s Beyond the Basics (Level 2) Event - May 11, 2022
- They’re Better than Benefits, They’re PERKS!: A 2022 PERKSCon Conference Recap - May 4, 2022
- To Transform Healthcare, Let’s Prioritize These 6 Areas - April 21, 2022
- Organizational Change Philosophy: Time for a Makeover - April 6, 2022
- Tools to Support COVID-19 Compliance - April 5, 2022